Friday, October 30, 2009

why do we have a black political caucus?

In traveling home today, I was listening to the radio and there was an ad promoting a Susan Burgess for city council. I also noted that the "black political caucus" had given her their endorsement.

I got to thinking, why do we have a black political caucus? What is their purpose? Is it to support "black" issues? If so, what are considered black issues?

When I think of color-coded political groups, I think of groups like the "concerned white citizens councils" and groups of that sort from back in the 40's through the 60's. Only thing was back then, I dont think they would have endorsed a candidate other than someone white. However, I'm pretty sure that they were against property rights and supported highly selective free markets. Come to think of it, thats what the black political caucus believes in!

Oh well, I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

No comments: